Government & Public Affairs Law Clerk
GEICO’s Government and Public Affairs (GPA) team develops and executes the company’s public policy, legislative and regulatory agenda across all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the federal government. The GPA team focuses most of its lobbying efforts in state legislative and executive branch regulatory bodies. As part of the highly regulated financial services industry, GEICO’s GPA team is also responsible for providing advice internally on new and changing laws and regulations to ensure compliance. The GPA team also provides legal and regulatory guidance for product and technology initiatives and supports the business units in responding to regulatory inquiries and audits.
We are currently seeking a Part-Time Law Clerk interested in gaining valuable corporate law experience in one of the largest and most recognizable property and casualty insurance companies in the country. This individual will work part-time during the academic year while pursuing their law degree.
Responsibilities in this role will include:
- Conducting research for state legal and regulatory surveys on topics of interest to help shape company’s legislative and regulatory agenda and to support new product and technology initiatives
- Drafting legal memoranda and survey reports synthesizing relevant legal and regulatory research
- Assisting attorneys with reviewing requests for political contributions; performing background research on potential political candidates; and drafting memos with final recommendations for support of selected candidates
- Tracking pending legislation during the states’ legislative sessions and keeping the GPA attorneys informed of status updates on critical bills
- Tracking trends related to new laws and regulatory investigations
- Any other assigned projects
- Currently pursuing a Juris Doctorate degree, with at least one year of law school complete
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (Please upload ALL transcripts as part of the application process)
- Previous hands-on legal work or internship experience in a company or law firm setting, judicial clerkship, or legislative role is preferred; Other non-legal experience considered favorably includes analytical or regulatory role in a company, role in a state legislature or Congress, or role in a state or federal regulatory department/agency
- Experience with legal research and drafting legal memoranda
- Highly organized with exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Must live within commutable distance from our Chevy Chase, MD office and preference to work a hybrid schedule, including working from the office 1-2 days per week
- Ability to work 15-30 hours per week during normal business hours, with a minimum of 4-5 hour blocks optimal
As part of the selection process, qualified candidates will be asked to submit a writing sample highlighting the strength of their legal research and analysis. Please upload your writing sample as part of the application process, along with your unofficial transcripts.
At this time, GEICO will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position
The Insurance Savings You Expect